[Mageia-dev] Perl MIDI:ALSA module (package suggestion for Mageia)

tux99-mga at uridium.org tux99-mga at uridium.org
Sun Dec 9 09:24:05 CET 2012

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012, Remy CLOUARD wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 02:43:47PM +0100, tux99-mga at uridium.org wrote:
> > Hi,
> > If you are curious to see what can be done with the MIDI::ALSA Perl
> > module have a look at a program I wrote with it:
> > http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5915
> >
> Awesome !
>
> Up until now I used to use simple sysexxer to transfer sysex to my DX7.
> Editing patches on the DX7 is a major pain, because there is only one
> slider to adjust each parameter for all oscillators.
> Seems to me that this library will make it way easier to build apps that
> do what this app does for the RM50. (maybe you have plans to support
> other hardware ?)

Yes, IMHO this library together with Perl/Tk (or GTK2-Perl if you
prefer) for the GUI makes it very easy to write apps like this one, I
have very little programming experience and I still managed to write
this in a few weeks in my spare time (I did have basic Perl scripting
experience but had never written such large GUI based app before).

I might write similar apps for other synths I own in future but I don't
own a DX7 (great synth!) so can't support that one.

Regards,
Andy