[Mageia-dev] Python packaging policy

Claire REVILLET grenoya at zarb.org
Thu Dec 13 15:24:52 CET 2012

Hi,

Le 13/12/2012 09:00, Shlomi Fish a écrit :
> Hi Joseph,
>
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:53:04 +0800
> Joseph Wang<joequant at gmail.com>  wrote:

[...]
>> * I'd like to add a rule (which is followed by current packages) that
>> the prefix "py" should
>> generally be removed from a package name.  For example pyopencl should be
>> called python-opencl.  This is the current convention for packages in mageia.
> I'm OK with it either way.
I disagree on that point: software and libraries names are choose by the
developers.
Who are we to change them ?

Adding "python-" at the beginning of the package name for our own
organization is one thing, changing the name is another.

And our policy only talk about upstream names containing the complete
word "python", not just "py".

Claire