[Mageia-dev] RFC: dropping prebuilt broadcom-wl drivers

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Fri Dec 28 03:34:31 CET 2012

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 05:13:11 PM Thomas Backlund wrote:
> Thomas Spuhler skrev 28.12.2012 02:00:

> >> Read again :)
> >>
> >> It's on every mageia mirror (as soon as they are synced), just navigate
> >> to people/tmb/mga3-beta1-wl-test
> >>
> >> for example kernel.org:
> >> http://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/people/tmb/mga3-beta1-wl-test/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thomas
> >
> > OK. I booted up and connected to the wireless.
> > What info would you need?
> > BTW I am on IRC as Oro Valley
>
> Well, wich iso works ?
> if both works, wich one works better ?
>
> if one does not work, is there any warning/error in dmesg ?
>
> --
> Thomas
See my other e-mail about the ISO w/o the wl driver.
I then booted with the no-wl LiveCD ISO
I opened the Networkcenter and there was no wireless network showing at all (I noramlly can see 5 of
them in my home).
In fact there was a brief splash <looking for ...>

Then came up the error window with the message
Unable to find network interface for selected device (using wl driver)

I then opened harddrake from a konsole and it was looking for packages to install. After connecting
the ethernet cable, the packages were installed (dkms-, libs, gcc, kernel-desktop-devel and kernel-
server-devel !, etc)
I opened the Networkcenter again and the same message apeared:
Unable to find network interface for selected device (using wl driver)

Besides that the driver ins't working, the installation is a hassle using a LiveCd. A live CD should
be something portable and easy for demo, etc.

--
Best regards
Thomas Spuhler