[Mageia-dev] RFC: dropping prebuilt broadcom-wl drivers

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Fri Dec 28 14:37:58 CET 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:34:31 -0700, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

> I opened the Networkcenter again and the same message apeared:
> Unable to find network interface for selected device (using wl driver)

  I've been through all that on a netbook with Broadcom BCM43225 and
running fully-updated Mageia-3-A2.
   I now have solid WiFi after starting to use NetworkManager, which I
installed with the following instructions:

   (1) Install  plasma-applet-networkmanager*, and add it to your
       panel.
          (To find its icon, Unlock Widgets, go into the 'Panel Tool
      Box' on the right of the KDE panel, select "Add Widgets"
	Then type "network" in the Categories box, and float your mouse
      cursor over each until you find Network Management.
      Double-click on this one and it will show up somewhere on your
       Panel.)

   (2) In /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf   change:
             "plugins=ifcfg-rh,keyfile" to:
             "plugins=keyfile"

    (3) Click on the NM applet.  It should bring up a dialog which will
          list your SSID. Click on it to connect (or configure)

  This has withstood all s/w updates so far, which is more than I can
say for Mageia-2 which is my bread-and-butter install on the netbook.
   Its WiFi was at first working but a s/w update broke it, though
over in Google-land I saw a suggestion to install:

     kernel-firmware-nonfree*

after which the WiFi was back to normal.
  However I have not dared not do any more s/w updates to Mageia-2 in
case the WiFi breaks again, though I guess I could always try
NetworkManager if it did (or start using M3A2 as main system).

(*Tried that on Mageia-3-A2 but did not solve the problem.)
--
/\/\aurice