[Mageia-dev] RFC: dropping prebuilt broadcom-wl drivers

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 28 18:15:16 CET 2012

2012/12/28 Maurice Batey <maurice at bcs.org.uk>:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:34:31 -0700, Thomas Spuhler wrote:
>
>> I opened the Networkcenter again and the same message apeared:
>> Unable to find network interface for selected device (using wl driver)
>
>   I've been through all that on a netbook with Broadcom BCM43225 and
> running fully-updated Mageia-3-A2.
>    I now have solid WiFi after starting to use NetworkManager, which I
> installed with the following instructions:

After reading messages from numerous users who are using Broadcom
chips I get the impression that it does not depemd on the chip or the
driver or using network manager or not or which kernel, it seems tp
depemd on ALL of it. Until MGA2 my Broadcom only worked outside of
gnome and after explicitely uninstalling network manager.
Another user told his same chip pnly works with network manager, a
third one a different story - and all are talking about the sa,e
kernel amd the same MGA version and the same Broadcom 4312. It's not
only Mageia, trying Debian, Ubuntu, openSuse, Mint and a few others
including Mageia, only 2 of them were able to get it to run longer
than from one boot to the next. I'll never ever buy that chip again
but everywhere you ask peope keep telling you it's ok to buy this
hardware for Linux - mine even came with SLED preinstalled.

Ok, so much to let out steam after I woke up in a storm of feathers
because some how I had torn my bed cover last night. 2 minutes after I
started to clean up the  dust bowl in my sleeping room my hoover
turned belly up (motor seems overheated) and spread all the feathers
and dust all over the place. So pls forgive me the short rant about a
hardware whith a problem.

--
wobo