[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 12:04:10 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-04 03:42, zezinho a écrit :
> Le samedi 4 février 2012 02:27:29, Michel Catudal a écrit :
>> default. One thing that pisses me off on all the Linux distribution,
>> including Mageia is that the fact that the bootloader is on the MBR is
>> sorta hidden and it is not obvious how to switch it to the partition. It
> How to boot if nothing is in the MBR? At least, we should install grub in both
> MBR and / partition. This way, it is easier to recover from a broken MBR.
>
> Anyway, most users only install one OS in one hardware. For other uses, you
> are expected to know what you are doing.

My complaint is that the way to switch it is not explained correctly. Sometimes we can't even see where the option is because the description of it is so cryptic.
I never install less than 1 Linux distribution, if one fails I have the other one to rely on. Since usually grub is tied to one particular OS, if that one messes up you are screwed. A separate bootloader not relying on any OS either on the MBR or a
separate partition is the only acceptable way for me.
It makes no sense whatsover for a bootloader to be tied to either windows, Linux, BSD or OS/2 and grub should always be on the boot partition.
We are not in the days where disk space is expensive.

The bootloader installation should be entirely separate from the operating system. You should have the option to first install a bootloader of your choice if one is not allready installed and then install the OS. When all is done you OS installer add
itself to the bootloader or you do it separately. xosl is an easy one but there are many others.

Michel

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal