[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Sat Feb 4 19:27:27 CET 2012

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 06:04:10 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:

> The bootloader installation should be entirely separate from the operating system.

  Michel, I think to avoid confusion, programs such as XOSL
(e.g. Extipl, GAG, SBM) are usually referred to as 'boot managers' (and
usually reside in the MBR) , whereas the system-specific functions such
as LILO and GRUB are referred to as 'boot loaders', and reside in the
superblock of the /boot partion of whichever system they belong to.
  The boot managers then facilitate the selection of whichever system,
is to be booted by linking to that system's bootloader on its partition.

--
/\/\aurice
	(Retired in Surrey, UK)     Registered Linux User #487649