[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Mon Feb 6 18:18:27 CET 2012

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:01:42 +0100, Pierre Jarillon wrote:

> Mageia and Ubuntu
> don't ask if you want a new MBR, they rebuilt it without any question.
> Formely, Mandriva asked where put the boot loader, but few people
> understand such a question which make the installation complicated for a
> beginner.

I haven't tried Ubuntu recently, but have installed Mandriva 2010 &
2011, Mageia 1, PCLinuxOS, and OpenSUSE 12.1, all of which  offered the
option of putting the bootloader either in the MBR or on the root
partiton.
  (I always choose the latter, to facilitate use of a bootloader.)

A beginner would be unlikely to be using multiple Linux installations,
so the simplest approach would be the bootloader in the MBR.

Even so,  most distributions make an effort to recognise other
installs and incorporate them in the boot menu.
  A good example is OpenSUSE 12.1 - see photo at:

      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10969499/suse-bootup.JPG
--
/\/\aurice