[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Mon Feb 6 18:34:14 CET 2012

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:50:27 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:

> On my son's computer I installed it on the MBR.

  I couldn't figure out how to do that. It seemed to me that it had to
have a FAT32 partition, and that one would need to be running Windows
to run the .exe file...

> You could create a USB freedos installation.

  I want the boot manage in  the MBR, not on a USB device.

> The
> beauty with xosl , it is small and works nicely. Being able to put it on a
> separate partition is a huge advantage over any other bootloader.

  But I already use GRUB (as put on the root partition of each nstall)
as boot loader. I have several versions of Linux in various partitions.
   What I'm looking for is a boot *manager* in the MBR which will show
me all the installs and allow me to select one of them to boot.

I've tried GAG (the best, but it has some technical hangup that
prevents it from writing its format updates back into the MBR of
/dev/sda, so I've been using it on floppy).

I couldn't get SBM to work on a floppy (for initial testing) so am
currently using Extipl (which Mandriva 2010.2 has in its software
library and is very easy to install on floppy or MBR, but has a
low-level presentation of the bootable installations).

Many thanks for your efforts to help with XOSL, but I still simply
cannot get a clear enough understanding of how the thing is set up, so I
will pass on this one.  :-(

Merci mille fois...

--
/\/\aurice