[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 01:39:24 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-06 13:57, andre999 a écrit :
> Maurice Batey a écrit :
>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:50:27 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:
>>
>>> On my son's computer I installed it on the MBR.
>>    I couldn't figure out how to do that. It seemed to me that it had to
>> have a FAT32 partition, and that one would need to be running Windows
>> to run the .exe file...

You can have it either on a fat16, fat32 partition or the MBR.
>>> You could create a USB freedos installation.
>>    I want the boot manage in  the MBR, not on a USB device.

You didn't understand what I said. The USB device is the boot device if you don't have a floppy drive.
That is only use to install or reinstall xosl after it's been wacked by Linux or other OS.
With xosl and I would assume most modern bootloader you can create a backup of the MBR on your recue boot diskette or USB device.

The xosl install that I have runs off a floppy diskette which has been formatted to PC DOS. You should be able to find dos bootable image on the net.
xosl has a nice graphic install.

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal