[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-gnome-3.3.2-4.mga2

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:04:21 CET 2012

On 13 February 2012 10:55, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
>> 1) for symmetry with task-kde4-minimal
>>     It should be done in task-{lxde,xfce,..} of course
>>
>> 2) so that people performing minimal install then installing task-foobar
>>     got mcc too
>>     (it's done at installer time through rpmsrate which is not used after
>>     installation by urpmi -- else nothing will pull it[1])
>
> It cannot be put somewhere else? Just wondering, I thought the
> installation also was able to look at other things than just strictly
> task-gnome-minimal (e.g. a generic "Graphical Desktop").

Yes through rpmsrate, and again urpmi doesn't use it

> Regarding minimal installation: if you really do a minimal installation,
> then install GNOME. IMO, I would expect only GNOME related things, but
> maybe that is more my assumption on why someone would do a minimal
> installation.

AFAIC one should get the same experience as when choosing the desktop
during installation.
What's more as it is a suggest, nothing prevent it to be removed.

And it makes testing through urpmi more predictive regarding the installer

We've move quite a lot of things from rpmsrate into task* over the years.
That's just one more.

>> 3) because that's the right place to do it
>
> To me it doesn't seem like the logical place. GNOME doesn't require
> drakconf, nor does KDE. It is something part of the distro. So as soon
> as anything graphical is installed, you'll likely want it.

Again, this is not a strict require but a suggest

What's more we don't have a better place and strictly speaking:
1) task-gnome* doesn't actually require any of the packages it either requires
    or suggests
2) a GNOME desktop doesn't really require a cd burning tool or a browser or
    whatever in order to show up & work...
   so the same could be said to most requires & suggests.