[Mageia-dev] size of iso dvds

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Wed Feb 15 12:51:11 CET 2012

Am 14.02.2012 19:36, schrieb Thierry Vignaud:
> On 14 February 2012 18:39, Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de> wrote:
>> Somehow related, i just did some rpm size comparisons for thunderbird
>> -l10n packages, to see what can be gained if we switch them back to
>> uncompressing the (zipped) .xpi files and so let them profit from
>> rpm binary payload compression. It's not much for a single package,
>> but overall it's a reduction by 35%.
> So we save a little space from DVDs but we'll quite a lot more on the
> installed systems...
> Bad tradeoff IMHO...
Seriously? Smaller packages means quicker updates and less traffic,
less mirror space used, more iso space available, marginally faster
program runtime due to no on-the-fly decompression needed etc.

And disk space is cheap, maybe not dirt-cheap anymore, considering
the raise in prizes during the Thailand flood last year, but stilll ...
Also normally you only install one language pack ...

Comparison for disk-space used when installed (german language packe):

uncompressed:
2,1M

.xpi, zip-compressed:
412K
>> Maybe this is a viable solution for other packages too, which currently
>> carry files which are already compressed when building.
> That would only waste more space on installed systemdsif we
> uncompress man pages, info pages & the like too...

Nope, as that would be against the policy, those should stay (.xz) compressed.
I though of other situations like for firefox/thunderbird language packs,
where we can save some space. And IMHO we need that, see previous post
about iso size, as packages increased their size significantly, so IMHO we
have to do a tradeoff, otherwise the installation media package selection
will get smaller and smaller over time.

just my 2¢