[Mageia-dev] size of iso dvds

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 15 13:12:04 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Florian Hubold at 15/02/12 11:51 did gyre and gimble:
> Am 14.02.2012 19:36, schrieb Thierry Vignaud:
>> On 14 February 2012 18:39, Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de> wrote:
>>> Somehow related, i just did some rpm size comparisons for thunderbird
>>> -l10n packages, to see what can be gained if we switch them back to
>>> uncompressing the (zipped) .xpi files and so let them profit from
>>> rpm binary payload compression. It's not much for a single package,
>>> but overall it's a reduction by 35%.
>> So we save a little space from DVDs but we'll quite a lot more on the
>> installed systems...
>> Bad tradeoff IMHO...
> Seriously? Smaller packages means quicker updates and less traffic,
> less mirror space used, more iso space available, marginally faster
> program runtime due to no on-the-fly decompression needed etc.
>
> And disk space is cheap, maybe not dirt-cheap anymore, considering
> the raise in prizes during the Thailand flood last year, but stilll ...

Yeah but also a lot of people are now switching to fast, but small SSDs.
On these types of install space is at a premium, so I'd welcome anything
that keeps the things I don't use super often as small and compact as
possible.

SSD space is not cheap. Everything is a trade off.

> Also normally you only install one language pack ...

I agree with this bit, but some language packs can be pretty large
uncompressed...

What would maybe be nice is compromise that should maybe be planned for
mga3...  where the data is non-compressed in the package, but
re-compressed during install. Packages are smaller, but installed space
is the same at the expense of extra install time. It's still a trade off
and it (might) make packaging more hassle (calculating hashes may be
awkward), but otherwise I'd say it's a win (tho' I fully accept that's
subjective).