[Mageia-dev] In need of a mentor

Pierre-Malo Denielou malo at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 14:40:01 CET 2012

On 15/02/12 20:41, Steven Tucker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to make comment on the Mentoring system, and hopefully I will
> convey it, and be interpreted in the best possible spirit.
> I am glad Kyle has now had an offer to be mentored and by no means wish to stop
> this or interfere in anyway, however I felt quite deflated when I read the offer
> to mentor him, and I imagine others would too, so I feel obligated to comment.
>
> There is a list on the wiki of people looking for mentors
>
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager#Packaging_apprentice_candidates
>

> Kyle has indeed added his name to the list, however there are 5 people on the
> list before him, I have been on that list since mid January, and there is
> someone who has been waiting since late November.
>
> All things being equal, shouldn't preference be given to the top (longest
> waiting) of the list?
> Is there a reason why 5 people get overlooked, and someone who has been waiting
> 2 days is given a chance? If we are not as committed/capable/available/desirable
> can someone please let us know? I have already packaged a program I wrote and
> want added to Mageia, and I wait patiently for a Mentor, just to find the line
> has been cut.
>
> Do I need to constantly have IRC on to be chosen? is there some unwritten rules
> about how to gain a mentor? If so please let me know so I can do these things.
>
> I hope this is taken constructively, I don't wish for the mentoring offer to
> Kyle to be withdrawn, he sounds like he will be an asset to the packaging team,
> I do think though that you should consider the list first before making offers.
> If a person is not suitable, tell them so they can move on, perhaps package for
> another distro, whatever. Don't just leave them there to rot.
> Tuxta

Hi Steven,

I understand your frustration. this list on the wiki is not really working at
the moment.
You however need to understand that we are all volunteers and busy with other
tasks (like mga2). So finding a mentor also supposes that potential mentors see
(repeatedly) your will to participate. That's why coming to talk on IRC,
(notably #mageia-mentoring where we can help you learn the first steps of
packaging, even without a mentor), filling bugs or commenting on them, writing
to the mailing-list (even if it's just a reminder that you are looking for a
mentor) are all things that will make you known by the community and find a mentor.
In a way, you message is the illustration of what you should do (although the
long message you wrote is not that necessary :-) ).

BTW, I can be your mentor if you're motivated and don't mind using IRC :-).

Cheers,
--
Malo
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~malo/