[Mageia-dev] In need of a mentor

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Thu Feb 16 05:16:00 CET 2012

On 15.02.2012 21:41, Steven Tucker wrote:
> Hi all,
Hello Steven!

> I would like to make comment on the Mentoring system, and hopefully I
> will convey it, and be interpreted in the best possible spirit.
> I am glad Kyle has now had an offer to be mentored and by no means
> wish to stop this or interfere in anyway, however I felt quite
> deflated when I read the offer to mentor him, and I imagine others
> would too, so I feel obligated to comment.
>
> There is a list on the wiki of people looking for mentors
>
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager#Packaging_apprentice_candidates
>

> Kyle has indeed added his name to the list, however there are 5 people
> on the list before him, I have been on that list since mid January,
> and there is someone who has been waiting since late November.
>
> All things being equal, shouldn't preference be given to the top
> (longest waiting) of the list?
> Is there a reason why 5 people get overlooked, and someone who has
> been waiting 2 days is given a chance?
There are lot kinds of packages in Mageia (C++, documentation, Java,
Gnome, KDE, web, kernel, assembler, Perl, Haskell, XFCE4, Ruby, Ocaml,
...) and usually mentors take these apprentice candidates, where there
is a common field of shared interests.
> If we are not as committed/capable/available/desirable can someone
> please let us know?
Don't think like that please! As wiki says, the most important is
enthusiasm! I have seen that even qualified computer scientists cannot
finish the mentoring process due to lack of enthusiasm (they need to
dedicate their free time to the project).
> I have already packaged a program I wrote and want added to Mageia,
> and I wait patiently for a Mentor, just to find the line has been cut.
>
> Do I need to constantly have IRC on to be chosen?
Of course not! It's individual flavour of communication, some people
prefer IRC, some e-mails, some other ways to communicate.
> is there some unwritten rules about how to gain a mentor? If so please
> let me know so I can do these things.
There is probably one thing "unwritten", just trying to ping developers
helps in finding. Kyle was asking several times on IRC for mentor.

> I hope this is taken constructively, I don't wish for the mentoring
> offer to Kyle to be withdrawn, he sounds like he will be an asset to
> the packaging team, I do think though that you should consider the
> list first before making offers. If a person is not suitable, tell
> them so they can move on, perhaps package for another distro,
> whatever. Don't just leave them there to rot.
The truth is simple, we are short of packagers and therefore mentors.
Everybody with enthusiasm (even without great Unix skills) is welcome.

I have mostly finished my project of the consolidation of spell-checkers
in Mga, that costed hundreds of commits, and now I feel ready to start
helping in the mentoring process.

I have proposed to you and to Edward (edge226) to teach you packaging.
To be clear, after reading your "interests / skills / comments", I
decided that I can be a better mentor for you, according to the field of
interest.

> Tuxta

Regards and welcome!

Kamil