[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release dracut-015-3.mga2

Charles A Edwards CAE at eslrahc.com
Thu Feb 16 20:42:25 CET 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:29:43 +0000
Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> > Currently I am booting with systemd-sysvinit and using mkinitrd.
> > Is it going to now magically/tragically stop working?

> In certain circumstances, yes.
> Using dracut means udev is in the initrd and metadata is available.

> This is why a systemd boot requires a dracut initrd. I'm not prepared
> to support any other combination as it just does not make sense.

> Can I ask why you are using mkinitrd anyway? What problem are you
> having with dracut? I need to make sure I find a way to fix any
> problems you have (obviously some problems with latest dracut are
> known and I'm working on fixes, just want to make sure I don't miss
> your issues)

On the several occasions when I had tried to boot using systemd/dracut
it either failed miserably or I had to jump through hoops to get it to
work.

With the recent work you have done with dracut I have now tried using
it again.

rpm -e mkinitrd; install dracut-016-1, update systemd to the latest
40-3;
use auto-update to bring in all other updates including
kernel-server-3.2.6-2

Reboot to kernel-server-3.2.6-2 successful.
So... unless the roof falls in I have now switched to systemd/dracut

On another note is anyone looking at services which are not now be
auto-started with systemd.
In my case I have to manually start gpm and cups at each boot.

    Charles

--
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for
reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."