[Mageia-dev] New Dracut: Please test

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 21 15:26:57 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 21/02/12 13:33 did gyre and gimble:
> On 21 February 2012 13:53, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> Sadly this test shows things working as expected when you do it
>> manually. Lots of things included now in bin/ and a sensible size from
>> the resulting initrd.
>
> (...)
>
>> And yet again the problem hides itself... :s
>
> Maybe an ordering issue?

Well, that was kinda my thought too, but the kernel itself does have a
"Requires(Pre): dracut >= 016-1" which really should take care of the
ordering.

> Though in my mga1 to cauldron upgrade tests, ordering was OK
> We would need update logs from people actually having the issue.
>
> Although there does be some ordering issues:
> - plymouth should requires mkinitrd

Oh right yeah.

> - kernels should require makedev & sound-scripts (for
> /etc/modprobe.d/snd-oss.conf)

Hmm, not sure they should require sound-scripts.... Sound is not
essential after all. And regardless, snd-oss.conf is an alternatives
thing anyway these days, so should it also require osspd to get the
"preferred" alternative? I don't think so.

Can you explain your thinking a bit more on the sound-scripts thing?

EDIT: never mind I see what you mean from the log output below...

Possibly just that sound-scripts actually needs a require on
libalsa-data which at very least provides the alsa sound profile which
would make that snd-oss.conf symlink exist....

I'd guess that the link to the "current" sound profile symlink is
missing and thus that file goes nowhere.... Can you check the ordering
to see when libalsa-data was installed - I'm guessing later than 224...

Also not sure about makedev... how important is that these days with
udev and the like? Is it just for the /dev/mem issue? If so can we find
where it's used and factor it out if it's not available? AFAICT it's not
in dracut, so I'm guessing somewhere in out bootloader scripts?

>   (/etc/sysconfig/keyboard does't exit when doing a urpmi --urpmi-root test)
>
> BTW initrd-desktop.img & the like links got blindly updated whereas
> the initrd was
> successfully generated or not.
> We should test for file existence before symlinking IMHO...

Yeah. I still can't actually work out why my home (mga1) system doesn't
update the -desktop links properly :s

> See logs:
>
>   220/273: plymouth              #############################################
> /usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd: line 2: mkinitrd:
> command not found
> warning: %post(plymouth-0.8.4-0.20111214.3.mga2.x86_64) scriptlet
> failed, exit status 127
>
>   224/273: kernel-desktop-3.2.6-3.mga2
>                                  #############################################
> Cannot find a boot loader installed. Only taking care of initrd
> /dev/mem: No such file or directory

I guess this is why makedev is wanted?

> WARNING: Failed to open config file /etc/modprobe.d/snd-oss.conf: No
> such file or directory
> WARNING: Failed to open config file /etc/modprobe.d/snd-oss.conf: No
> such file or directory
> E: Could not find program "dhclient" required by network.

Hmm, not sure why that's being reported as an error... should just be a
check to perform to decide whether or not the network module can be
included IMO... Will ask upstream.

> I: *** Including module: dash ***
> I: *** Including module: i18n ***
> grep: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory
> E: No KEYMAP.

Hmmm, looks like it's missing some -f checks here...