[Mageia-dev] New Dracut: Please test

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:07:23 CET 2012

On 21 February 2012 15:26, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Possibly just that sound-scripts actually needs a require on
> libalsa-data which at very least provides the alsa sound profile which
> would make that snd-oss.conf symlink exist....
>
> I'd guess that the link to the "current" sound profile symlink is
> missing and thus that file goes nowhere.... Can you check the ordering
> to see when libalsa-data was installed - I'm guessing later than 224...

There's no libalsa* when testing basesystem + kernel with no suggests
(actually even with suggests it's not pulled in)

> Also not sure about makedev... how important is that these days with
> udev and the like? Is it just for the /dev/mem issue? If so can we find
> where it's used and factor it out if it's not available? AFAICT it's not
> in dracut, so I'm guessing somewhere in out bootloader scripts?

Well it's cheap (small & fast).
It's used as in "required by basesystem-minimal (and also a couple
other packages) and automagically creating /dev/* nodes in %post)"

>   224/273: kernel-desktop-3.2.6-3.mga2
>>                                  #############################################
>> Cannot find a boot loader installed. Only taking care of initrd
>> /dev/mem: No such file or directory
>
> I guess this is why makedev is wanted?

yep.
Though this is not an issue within drakx (see below).
Just when playing with urpmi --urpmi-root which is seldom
used for real live systems

>> grep: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory
>> grep: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory
>> E: No KEYMAP.
>
> Hmmm, looks like it's missing some -f checks here...

Indeed since this one won't exist until someone run keyboardrake
(within drakx, this is not an issue of course as drakx takes care of
creating the devices prior installing packages)
Now that we use udev, we could even just bind mounting /dev
on /mnt/dev in drakx.

But for consistency, we should install makedev prior to the kernel...