[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Cinnamon for Mageia

JA Magallon jamagallon at ono.com
Wed Jan 4 22:58:24 CET 2012

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:50:57 +0100
Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:

> Le mercredi 04 janvier 2012 à 20:21 +0100, bernd a écrit :
> > As you know, Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome-Shell with the look & feel &
> > workflow of Gnome2, developed and maintained by Clement Lefebvre
> > "Clem" from Linux-Mint.
> >
> > At the moment, already rpms and debs for other distributions like
> > Ubuntu,
> > Fedora, Arch and OpenSuse are built:
> > http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61
> >
> > In my opinion, Cinnamon will be a sustainable alternative for
> > ex-Gnome2-users,
> > who don't like the "smartphone-look" of Gnome3
>
> It will be sustainable when it will have been sustained a bit, don't you
> think ? ( because mint already announced first to add js extension to
> gnome shell, then to fork gnome 2, then to develop a new DE , so maybe
> they will do another thing next week ).
>
> ( and personally, I do have both a smartphone and gnome 3, and I wonder
> if people who say there is a smartphone look to gnome 3 have a
> smartphone, cause mine do not really look like gnome 3 )
>
> I do not have much trust in linuxmint code ( there is several unfixed
> serious flaw in their python tools, like
> https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py#L1444 or
> https://github.com/linuxmint/mintnanny/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintNanny/mintNanny.py#L71
>  ), but if someone do proper packages ( and if they do not open hole
> like these one ), why not.

If the choice is like install gnome-shell or cinnamon, just two packages
with a conflict, and applets work both in gnome3-fallback-mode and in
cinnamon, and if....

In short, if it is _just_ a gnome-shell replacement, no worries. Package it
and if it dies on a month, nothing happens. If you have to tweak half gnome
platform to get it running, by by...