[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Thu Jan 12 15:45:39 CET 2012

On Thursday 12 January 2012 10:05, Buchan Milne wrote:
> many users don't report upstream
> bugs to the distro's tracker.”
>
> Why not?

Why should they? As far as the average Joe is concerned they should only have to file a bug one place.
This is how many of them think. And I agree with them.

> 1)File a bug with the distribution, and have the distribution worry about
> reporting or fixing the bug and providing an update
>
> 2)File a bug upstream, when the bug is fixed uptream, file a bug with the
> distributor, referencing the upstream bug

My experience is that if they file a bug report in the first place, they Either contact the upstream developer or the distribution's bugzilla team. They never do both, as they believe that doing both is a waste of time, since the fixed version eventually find it's way to the distribution anyway.

> An approach that doens't include a bug filed with the distribution means the
> user doesn't really seem interested in receiving an update from the
> distribution.

Incorrect assumption.
As someone who is the support service for some users I have some experience with this. They assume that any serious bug will be fixed in one of the next releaces, because that's how it works with Microsoft. And they haven't heard of anyone filing any bug at Microsoft. The bugs just get fixed without them ever repporting anything, and they assume that this is how things are supposed to work. Sometimes they even think that what we consider as bugs, they believe it is how things are supposed to work.

If they're not happy with how the system works, they often conclude that Linux Sucks Ass, and move back to Windows or OS X.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324