[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Thu Jan 12 16:29:43 CET 2012

On Thursday, 12 January 2012 16:45:39 Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> On Thursday 12 January 2012 10:05, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > many users don't report upstream
> > bugs to the distro's tracker.”
> >
> > Why not?
>
> Why should they? As far as the average Joe is concerned they should only
> have to file a bug one place. This is how many of them think. And I agree
> with them.
>
> > 1)File a bug with the distribution, and have the distribution worry about
> > reporting or fixing the bug and providing an update
> >
> > 2)File a bug upstream, when the bug is fixed uptream, file a bug with the
> > distributor, referencing the upstream bug
>
> My experience is that if they file a bug report in the first place, they
> Either contact the upstream developer or the distribution's bugzilla team.

I covered this in (1).

> They never do both, as they believe that doing both is a waste of time,
> since the fixed version eventually find it's way to the distribution
> anyway.

Sure, it will, on the next release of the distribution, assuming the new
upstream release was before version freeze.

> > An approach that doens't include a bug filed with the distribution means
> > the user doesn't really seem interested in receiving an update from the
> > distribution.
>
> Incorrect assumption.
> As someone who is the support service for some users I have some experience
> with this. They assume that any serious bug will be fixed in one of the
> next releaces,

But this *is* the case. What we are talking about *here*, is that the bugfix
update be shipped to old releases.

> because that's how it works with Microsoft.

Yes, non-critical release will be shipped in next SP, a year or so later.

> And they
> haven't heard of anyone filing any bug at Microsoft.

Just because they haven't, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

> The bugs just get
> fixed without them ever repporting anything, and they assume that this is
> how things are supposed to work. Sometimes they even think that what we
> consider as bugs, they believe it is how things are supposed to work.
>
> If they're not happy with how the system works, they often conclude that
> Linux Sucks Ass, and move back to Windows or OS X.

But, your comparison is invalid. Users must pay for the privilege of upgrading
to get non-critical bugfixes the latter, and wait quite some time for the
former.

Regards,
Buchan