[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

Sander Lepik sander.lepik at eesti.ee
Fri Jan 13 08:53:09 CET 2012

13.01.2012 03:20, Maarten Vanraes kirjutas:
> see https://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2012/01/10/delivering-a-mozilla-firefox-
> extended-support-release/
> see https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/9/9d/Esr-release-overview.png
>
> ESR is a 1y extended supported release...
>
> looking at the image we'd be having supported versions for our 9month release
> schedule every time... we should totally use this release and not go towards
> FF11 for our release.
>
> We've been complaining about the too quick release schedule... this is our
> chance!
>
> ( i think if the FF maintainer wishes, he could also do backports of the
> regular releases... )
>
> i'm hoping everyone agrees? including FF maintainer?
I don't agree. But i'm not the maintainer.

Why not?
* Since fx10 all non-binary extensions are compatible by default (so our
main problem goes away).
* fx10 in 6 months is dead old for users POV. Many unhappy users. Lower
popularity for Mageia. (Ubuntu AFAIK is going with fast schedule).
* We will miss too many new and cool features.
* When we release

But as i said.. up to maintainer.

--
Sander