[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Sun Jan 15 16:57:27 CET 2012

Am 15.01.2012 01:43, schrieb Luc Menut:
> Le 13/01/2012 02:22, D.Morgan a écrit :
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Maarten Vanraes<alien at rmail.be>  wrote:
>>> see https://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2012/01/10/delivering-a-mozilla-firefox-
>>> extended-support-release/
>>> see https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/9/9d/Esr-release-overview.png
>>>
>>> ESR is a 1y extended supported release...
>>>
>>> looking at the image we'd be having supported versions for our 9month release
>>> schedule every time... we should totally use this release and not go towards
>>> FF11 for our release.
>>>
>>> We've been complaining about the too quick release schedule... this is our
>>> chance!
>>>
>>> ( i think if the FF maintainer wishes, he could also do backports of the
>>> regular releases... )
>>>
>>> i'm hoping everyone agrees? including FF maintainer?
>>

>> seems we should stuck to FF 10 as default release for mageia2.
>>

> I don't have strong opinion about this choice.
>
> some various points that we should take into account:
> - I didn't find recent official announcement about ESR for other mozilla
> applications (Thunderbird, Seamonkey/Iceape, ...); I think that we should
> have consistent versions, at least for Firefox and Thunderbird.
This is not the case currently, we have latest stable Firefox, but Thunderbird
3.1 series
for mga1 as long as they're supported upstream (cf
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all-older.html )
and for Seamonkey we have a totally out-of-date rebranding called iceape,
which nobody seems interested in for stable release, with many
open security issues (cf other thread: "[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package")