[Mageia-dev] Existing Cauldron VM users willing to test gnome-boxes?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Fri Jan 13 14:09:21 CET 2012

On Friday, 13 January 2012 11:47:39 Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:14:46PM -0500, Scott Chevalley wrote:
> > I'm using KVM for a windows 7 vm and I just tried to use gnome-boxes to
> > create, I guess, a vm for a drbl live cd and it created it but when I
> > launch it the app just shows a black screen and doesn't do anything.
>
> Thanks for testing!
>
> I'm getting the same black screen.

Have you tried connecting with spicec ?

> So it seems it doesn't work anyone :-(
>
> Did you launch it from the terminal? Any debug output?
>
> > There's not much documentation so I'm not sure exactly what's supposed to
> > happen versus what is happening.
>
> You should be seeing the VM. It uses something new called 'splice'. I
> think that is where the error lies. The Fedora version of qemu 0.15 had
> some patches which they dropped in qemu 1.0. I'm hoping qemu 1.0 solves
> the issues, but wasn't able to compile it yesterday.
>
> "Splice" is pretty nice as you can e.g. share your USB somehow between
> the host and the VM (gnome-boxes has a checkbox, but no clue about the
> technical details).

I think you mean 'spice', which is a remote desktop protocol, which covers
display, sound, device sharing, printing etc. (AFAIU).

I am more interested in the spice support in the libvirt/virt-manager tools
... but I am not running cauldron.

> > I'll be happy to do some more testing if you can give me some pointers as
> > to what I'm looking for.
>
> The debug output from the terminal would be nice, as well as
> $HOME/.libvirt/qemu/log/*.
>
> I really want to get this working before the next Mageia testversion is
> released..

I would like to see virt-manager with spice support, and support in the
distribution for spice when a VM under qemu with spice support (spice-vdagent
stuff).

Regards,
Buchan