[Mageia-dev] Existing Cauldron VM users willing to test gnome-boxes?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jan 13 14:38:10 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 03:09:21PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Friday, 13 January 2012 11:47:39 Olav Vitters wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:14:46PM -0500, Scott Chevalley wrote:
> > > I'm using KVM for a windows 7 vm and I just tried to use gnome-boxes to
> > > create, I guess, a vm for a drbl live cd and it created it but when I
> > > launch it the app just shows a black screen and doesn't do anything.
> >
> > Thanks for testing!
> >
> > I'm getting the same black screen.
>
> Have you tried connecting with spicec ?

I connected using the spice gtk client. Same black screen. So I guess it
has to do with the server (qemu spice support). Fedora qemu package had
a lot of spice patches, all merged in qemu 1.0. Upstream said it
shouldn't be needed to apply the patches though (and I didn't).

There was also some other spice client, maybe spicec, but that depended
on yet another package (cegui or something), but an older version than
what Cauldron had. Upstream said they'd replace it with a gtk version
(which I already packaged), so I excluded the old client from the spice
package.

> > So it seems it doesn't work anyone :-(
> >
> > Did you launch it from the terminal? Any debug output?
> >
> > > There's not much documentation so I'm not sure exactly what's supposed to
> > > happen versus what is happening.
> >
> > You should be seeing the VM. It uses something new called 'splice'. I
> > think that is where the error lies. The Fedora version of qemu 0.15 had
> > some patches which they dropped in qemu 1.0. I'm hoping qemu 1.0 solves
> > the issues, but wasn't able to compile it yesterday.
> >
> > "Splice" is pretty nice as you can e.g. share your USB somehow between
> > the host and the VM (gnome-boxes has a checkbox, but no clue about the
> > technical details).
>
> I think you mean 'spice', which is a remote desktop protocol, which covers
> display, sound, device sharing, printing etc. (AFAIU).

Indeed :)

> I am more interested in the spice support in the libvirt/virt-manager tools
> ... but I am not running cauldron.

I think I changed libvirt to support spice, but not sure. I'm focussing
on gnome-boxes and I had to package a lot of things to get it to
actually run a VM. Virt-manager does work though (started Mageia 1 dvd
in a VM).

> > > I'll be happy to do some more testing if you can give me some pointers as
> > > to what I'm looking for.
> >
> > The debug output from the terminal would be nice, as well as
> > $HOME/.libvirt/qemu/log/*.
> >
> > I really want to get this working before the next Mageia testversion is
> > released..
>
> I would like to see virt-manager with spice support, and support in the
> distribution for spice when a VM under qemu with spice support (spice-vdagent
> stuff).

Any pointers on how to add support in the distribution? I guess maybe I
should try to make a VM in gnome-boxes and start a Fedora iso.

--
Regards,
Olav