[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

Jeff Robins jeffrobinssae at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 23:10:53 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be> wrote:

> Op vrijdag 13 januari 2012 20:59:19 schreef Jeff Robins:
> > On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM, andre999 <andre999mga at laposte.net>
> wrote:
> > > Wait.
> > > A long-term release version is kept updated for bugs, particularly
> > > security bugs, but doesn't add new features.
> > > Since it doesn't add new features, it is less likely to introduce new
> > > bugs, and so would be more secure.
> > > (That is why, in case you haven't noticed, that Firefox has more
> security
> > > issues than Seamonkey, which is one step behind Firefox in adopting new
> > > features.)
> > >
> > > So if you want a stable, secure browser, prefer among Mozilla browsers
> > > the Firefox long-term release, or for more stable, Seamonkey.
> > >
> > > For the minority of users who want the latest features, despite the
> > > greater risk, like the cauldron of Mozilla, it is easy to download the
> > > latest Firefox release, direct from upstream.  (It will be available
> > > there at least a week sooner.)
> > > Upstream Firefox by default warns when the latest update is available.
> > >
> > > --
> > > André
> >
> > I think André is entirely correct and the ESR should meet the
> requirements
> > for a long-term Mageia.  The ESR will get all of the security updates,
> but
> > not the new features so any argument about needing the latest to stay
> > secure is invalid.  (
> >
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/5378/mozilla-announces-firefox-extended-suppo
> > rt-release )
> >
> > Also, the next upstream will be moving to quiet updates, unless Firefox
> > hasn't been restarted in the last 12 hours.  So, users that want the
> latest
> > can use the upstream and be automatically updated.
> > (
> http://letsbytecode.com/general/10-firefox-will-be-updated-on-the-quiet/)
> >
> > My only concern is the difference in release times.  Mageia's is 9months
> > and Mozilla is 1year.  Nine months from Mageia's 1st long-term release,
> > Mozilla will still be on the same FF, and will update FF in the middle of
> > the second Mageia long-term release.  This would create more work and a
> > long-term Mageia, which will have a major component update during the
> > long-term support period.
> >
> > --Jeff
>
> look at the picture for the support period, the 1y warranteed versions
> cross
> over for 2 or 3 months
>
> so it's going to fit for as long as we have 9m release schedule

The 2-3 month overlap doesn't solve our problem.  Assuming that we both
start on the same month of the same year, which we aren't, and call it
January 2012:

Jan 2012 (good):
We do long-term 1 and Mozilla does ESR1.

Sept 2012(good):
We do long-term 2 and Mozilla has just released FF ESR2.

June 2013(bad):
We do long-term 3, but Mozilla won't release FF ESR3 until Sept 2013.  FF
ESR2 is defunct as of Jan 2013. We only get 3 months of support on ESR2 for
long-term 3.

March 2014(good):
We do long-term 4 and Mozilla released FF ESR3 in Sept.  We get support
until Dec 2015, which is when we release long-term 5.

--Jeff