[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Fri Jan 13 23:58:16 CET 2012

Op vrijdag 13 januari 2012 23:10:53 schreef Jeff Robins:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
> > Op vrijdag 13 januari 2012 20:59:19 schreef Jeff Robins:

> > security

> > > I think André is entirely correct and the ESR should meet the
> >
> > requirements
> >
> > > for a long-term Mageia.  The ESR will get all of the security updates,
> >
> > but
> >
> > > not the new features so any argument about needing the latest to stay
> > > secure is invalid.  (
> >
> > http://www.anandtech.com/show/5378/mozilla-announces-firefox-extended-sup
> > po
> >
> > > rt-release )
> > >
> > > Also, the next upstream will be moving to quiet updates, unless Firefox
> > > hasn't been restarted in the last 12 hours.  So, users that want the
> >
> > latest
> >
> > > can use the upstream and be automatically updated.
> > > (
> >
> > http://letsbytecode.com/general/10-firefox-will-be-updated-on-the-quiet/)
> >
> > > My only concern is the difference in release times.  Mageia's is
> > > 9months and Mozilla is 1year.  Nine months from Mageia's 1st long-term
> > > release, Mozilla will still be on the same FF, and will update FF in
> > > the middle of the second Mageia long-term release.  This would create
> > > more work and a long-term Mageia, which will have a major component
> > > update during the long-term support period.
> > >
> > > --Jeff
> >
> > look at the picture for the support period, the 1y warranteed versions
> > cross
> > over for 2 or 3 months
> >
> > so it's going to fit for as long as we have 9m release schedule
>
> The 2-3 month overlap doesn't solve our problem.  Assuming that we both
> start on the same month of the same year, which we aren't, and call it
> January 2012:
>
> Jan 2012 (good):
> We do long-term 1 and Mozilla does ESR1.
>
> Sept 2012(good):
> We do long-term 2 and Mozilla has just released FF ESR2.
>
> June 2013(bad):
> We do long-term 3, but Mozilla won't release FF ESR3 until Sept 2013.  FF
> ESR2 is defunct as of Jan 2013. We only get 3 months of support on ESR2 for
> long-term 3.
>
> March 2014(good):
> We do long-term 4 and Mozilla released FF ESR3 in Sept.  We get support
> until Dec 2015, which is when we release long-term 5.
>
> --Jeff

"your logic is flawed"

we have version freeze and testing several months before release

so, let's say mga2 ships with FF10.

if mga2 is release june, mga3 would be march 2013, with FF17.

mga4 would be released around dec 2013, with FF24
mga5 would be released with FF33, etc..

HOWEVER!

mga1 continues support until at least release of mga3, and thus will also
carry FF10.

mga2 has the same thing, when FF10 becomes EOL, mga2 will have to "update" to
FF17 as well... AND in advance of release of the new versions.

but otoh, this is all speculation on the continuation of 9m release schedule,
and if it's strictly adhered or not, and if FF isn't going to deviate or
change...

this is well enough in advance thinking imho, no need to think further than
this.

first we should also note if WE ourselves need to have LTS versions and IF we
can support that... etc...

in short, due to 3month overlap, the FF ERS cycle is 9m, just like mageia...