[Mageia-dev] [ANN] unbloated installer stage1

John Balcaen mikala at mageia.org
Tue Jan 24 15:38:25 CET 2012

2012/1/24 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 01:09:02PM +0100, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>> Total gain on boot.iso: -23Mb (57.5%) on x86_64 (less on i586)
>
> Yay, more space for GNOME! (my interest :P)
:)
Currently we also need a way to fix our iso creation :
for example on Mageia DVD 1 there's 4703 packages available for a size
of 3.7 Giga while Alpha 3 is providing only 4208 packages for a size
of 4Gb ... so we're using more space for less packages.
For kde's part we've got already some bug reports reporting missing
packages that where only suggests before (yes misc  i agree that
suggests is not the right way to add stuff but since they are not
*required* to work a kde session there's no reason to add them as
requires) & available in previous Mageia 1.
I can of course add them as requires on the task-kde package but i
think we should first start what we want to provides by default with
our task.
What should task-minimal requires ? just the desktop ? an irc client ?
a web client  (well here firefox is the default one) a mail client ?
etc etc
Enabling suggests on bcd configuration is certainly a no go because
we're already @ 4Go for dvd iso so part of the problem could probably
be fixed in the task- packages & after we can probably still add some
packages on the configuration.

--
Balcaen John
Jabber-id: mikala at jabber.littleboboy.net