[Mageia-dev] [ANN] unbloated installer stage1

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Tue Jan 24 16:33:47 CET 2012

John Balcaen a écrit :
> 2012/1/24 Olav Vitters<olav at vitters.nl>:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 01:09:02PM +0100, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>>
>>> Total gain on boot.iso: -23Mb (57.5%) on x86_64 (less on i586)
>>>
>> Yay, more space for GNOME! (my interest :P)

Nice work :)

> :)
> Currently we also need a way to fix our iso creation :
> for example on Mageia DVD 1 there's 4703 packages available for a size
> of 3.7 Giga while Alpha 3 is providing only 4208 packages for a size
> of 4Gb ... so we're using more space for less packages.
> For kde's part we've got already some bug reports reporting missing
> packages that where only suggests before (yes misc  i agree that
> suggests is not the right way to add stuff but since they are not
> *required* to work a kde session there's no reason to add them as
> requires)&  available in previous Mageia 1.
> I can of course add them as requires on the task-kde package but i
> think we should first start what we want to provides by default with
> our task.
> What should task-minimal requires ? just the desktop ? an irc client ?
> a web client  (well here firefox is the default one) a mail client ?
> etc etc
> Enabling suggests on bcd configuration is certainly a no go because
> we're already @ 4Go for dvd iso so part of the problem could probably
> be fixed in the task- packages&  after we can probably still add some
> packages on the configuration.

for task packages, I think a good presentation on installation would be
something like this :

[]-+-- () all required packages
    ()-internet
    |  [] firefox - description
    |  [] browser2 - desc
    |  [] thunderbird - desc
    |  [] email client2 - desc
    |  [] iceape/seamonkey - desc
    ()-office suites
    |  [] libreoffice - desc
    |  [] office suite2 - desc
    []-other group 1 (can be all selected)
    |  [] option1 - desc
    |  [] option2 - desc
    ()-other group 2 (selectable one at a time)
       [] option1 - desc
       [] option2 - desc

Notes:
- each package not on the dvd would be noted as such.
This should make it easier to deal with more limited space on the dvd.
- () is to open to see more detail, but not a point of selection.
- [] is a check box for selection, which includes the options to the
right/below.
So clicking the top/left box would select everything.
- packages already installed would be shown dim (if shown at all).
- the optional packages would be "suggests".

The idea is that any time a task package is selected, the same
presentation would appear, showing what is already installed, and that
deselecting an installed item would lead to its' uninstallation.

Not an original idea, since some larger Ms-based apps (at least used to)
do this.
Except that in Linux, packages are generally less self-contained and
more interdependant, so this schema would be more advantageous here.
It would give users a lot easier control over what is installed.
It could be applied to some non-task packages as well.

One advantage of this is that we could have only one task-kde, one
task-gnome, etc.

--
André