[Mageia-dev] Official VM images for Mageia 2?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 10:17:46 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:35, zezinho <lists.jjorge at free.fr> wrote:
> Le mercredi 25 janvier 2012 16:30:23, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>> I'd like to discuss/plan how we can build and distribute ready to use
>> VM images of Mageia 2 along with original ISOs, from our download
>> pages.
>
> I use LiveCD for this kinds of tests.
> It takes only a few seconds to install it in a VM.

This is an option, but LiveCDs do not provide a minimal system, and
their intended use is more for a graphical user desktop.

VMs can be used for scriptable config and deployment of
test/staging/prod platforms, using shared recipes (chef, puppet,
other). Providing a pre-installed, predictable minimal system is
helpful in this case. I'm especially thinking about Vagrant boxes, but
other images can be used for the same goals.

It's not about changing/diminishing the current dev/packaging focus
for Mageia 2 of course (not the same priority), it's to complement the
build chain with an alternative way to use the platform in the end.