[Mageia-dev] Video/X/GL/gnome-shell issues? (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jul 23 22:13:58 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 23/07/12 19:31 did gyre and gimble:

>>> I'm having issues with X due to intel drivers. Gnome-shell crashes
>>> frequently with "out of space" errors in some intel thing which smells
>>> to me like something leaking textures.
>>
>> Should be fixed by the new driver I pushed this morning
>
> I'm using nouveau though.
>
> For me I can pretty easily make the system become problematic. Most
> reliably is by using a video player (usually mplayer, but also in
> totem). For one by skipping ahead in the video. Another is that pausing
> doesn't really work.
>
> Even e.g. closing tabs in Firefox sometimes locks up. Eventually firefox
> recovers.

Yeah I've still got fmutex locks in gnome-shell (totally frozen UI until
a kill -9 which quite freqnently results in a respawn with a similarly
frozen UI) and it does sometimes just crash and restart itself at
random. Also seen similar problems to those you describe with firefox too.

I'm tempted to blame mesa to some degree, but no real evidence :)