[Mageia-dev] My feeeling about the rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir) dependency

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 26 12:26:05 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 26/07/12 08:05 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> I do think the way we enforce the need of migrate to /usr fs is just an
> abuse of rpm.
>
> By using the a rpmlib() dependency we create in fact this dependency
> tree:
> filesystem => rpm with X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir patch => check fs
> whereas we want:
> filesystem => check fs
>
> THere another to perform the check w/o needing patch in rpm (so w/o
> needing a specific rpm first): using pre script.
>
> If the %pre script failed rpm will refuse to install the rpm, so
> something like that:
>
> export LC_ALL=C
>
> [ "`stat /bin -c %F`" == 'symbolic link' ] || exit 1
>
> or the same using lua.

This is an interesting idea, but I wonder why the redhat guys didn't do
it that way so I'll discuss it with them when I get a chance.

I'm also not sure where the circular dep is (I can't see why filesystem
has to be upgraded to install the newer rpm: but I'll have to do some
tests next week in a VM to see if it comes to light).