[Mageia-dev] bug, omission or feature

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 3 19:09:17 CEST 2012

On 2012/06/03 17:46 (GMT+0100) Colin Guthrie composed:

>>>  /etc/inittab is no longer used or read.

>>>  For single user mode now-a-days we boot to rescue.target (this is done
>>>  automatically if you just put a 1 at the end of the kernel command line
>>>  to support "runlevel 1").

>>  where do I change initial
>>  runlevel not for one boot but for a while? With inittab it was easy to
>>  change the default runlevel.

> The tools in drak* still let you configure this, so that's the "easy" way.

Not when X is broken.

> For real men (and women), we just change the
> /etc/systemd/system/default.target symlink to point at whatever target
> we want to use by default.

So instead of changing one character in a file that has been standard for
decades, one must figure out the name of the desired target file, then type a
lot so as to get the required symlink.

> For ad-hoc changes you can pass systemd.unit=foo.target on the kernel
> command line

Ditto.

>  or just append a runlevel number or the words "single" or
> "failsafe" as before.

Thank God everything that used to make good sense hasn't been replaced by
something more complicated. I've taken to including a digit on every Grub
kernel line quite some time ago.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/