[Mageia-dev] GNOME plans

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:17:39 CEST 2012

2012/6/4 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 05:51:11PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

Leaving out the crap about "change your wording" and whatever.

> - Maybe to clarify my point: When using GNOME, there should not be any
>  need to resort to a distro specific configuration tool. E.g. xorg
>  should be setup automatically, not require any distro assistance. It
>  is long term and difficult.

Ok, no problem. But what if a user decides NOT to use Gnome (what an
idea!)? What should users use for configuration?

> You clearly care about MCC, cool. But respect other people's opinion.

Actually I like MCC but this is not the point, it could be any similar
tool. I do respect other's opinions as long as these others respect
the necessity of such a tool for system-wide settings independent from
desktop-environments.

> To make clear: I think it is stupid that various distributions have
> their own specific configuration tools. That should be shared across
> distributions.

Od course I agree to that, never said anything against it. But I also
think it is stupid to do system settings inside a configuration tool
of a desktop environment. Please think again what that means:

If there is no MCC (or any other central setting tool for the Linux system):
 - a Gnome user will use gnome-settings
 - a kde user will use kde-settings
 - a lxde user will use.... and so on ad infinitum.

And what if he has Gnome and KDE, having both their own system
settings (hardware, msec, network settings, software management,
etc.)?
BTW: We are seeing this already in the forums: people see a setting in
MCC and then the same in KDE/Gnome. They will obviously use the first
they see - if that differs to the setting in MCC confusion is on the
way.

> Secondly, I think you should be able to do everything from within System
> Settings.

Yes, as long as it is not a setting tool for the settings of a
desktop-environment which is not available when you do not use that
desktop-environment.

BTW: Pls, calm down a bit, I am quite amazed how emotional you react
to this. It's software, not human rights.

--
wobo