[Mageia-dev] ANN: For the brave. systemd v185 in cauldron updates_testing

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 18 23:04:28 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 18/06/12 09:11 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and JA Magallón at 18/06/12 07:03 did gyre and gimble:
>> On 06/18/2012 01:15 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just submitted systemd v185 to updates_testing.
>>>
>>> There are several important changes worth noting:
>>>   1. "systemd-sysvinit" has been merged into the main "systemd" package
>>> thus effectively making systemd the only choice for booting.
>>>   2. "systemd" package now contains systemd-udevd binary thus replacing
>>> the separate udev package (I see no reason to keep the binaries in
>>> separate packages).
>>>   3. The libudev major number has been bumped so several packages will
>>> need rebuilt when this hits main, but so far I've only rebuilt lvm2 for
>>> updates_testing. This seems to be enough for basic testing (I have LVM
>>> here).
>>>   4. Due to the new udevd path, dracut needed updating too. I've updated
>>> this and submitted to release (as it's backwards compatible). At a later
>>> date I'll update to latest dracut.
>>>
>>> Please ensure you are capable of restoring your system in the event of
>>> things messing up. This will mean booting and manually downgrading
>>> packages and reinstalling the older udev package.
>>>
>>> If all is well, this will go into cauldron at the end of the week.
>>
>> It seems to work ok in my netbook, just two minor problems:
>>
>> - in install:
>>    7/28: systemd
>> #############################################
>>    /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.bM0Lmo: line 5: /usr/bin/systemctl: No such file or
>> directory
>>   in post-install, systemctl is already moved to /bin
>
> Ahh yes, this was me forgetting to revert a few paths. Dexter moved
> everything to /usr (which I support) but that requires a bigger change
> overall for other parts of the system which we'll need to plan a bit
> more holistically I think. It will come soon enough but I wanted to get
> this merged version in sooner rather than later.
>
>> - keyboard layout under Gnome got reset to English (from Spanish).
>> Changed manually under
>>   system settings and fine again.
>
> Interesting. Does this new setting survive a reboot? Does the new
> mapping work at the system level (i.e. is the layout respected in GDM)?
>
> Do you have a /etc/vconsole.conf file?

OK, so I don't really understand why it's broken. I think it's maybe a
regression in that X is no longer inheriting settings from the console,
but I think longer term this is a valid thing (maybe there will not be a
console to inherit from in the future?)

So, it seems that systemd-localed will write an Xorg snippet into
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf when the keyboard is set. Thus
your setting of it via the Gnome System Settings will have written this
file (can you confirm it exists?) and it will remain there for the
remaining boots.

Longer term, we need to make sure the installer runs this daemon for
fresh installs. And perhaps we should run it on upgrade automatically
too to ensure it's written as needed.

Cheers