[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:36:58 CEST 2012

On 21 June 2012 17:27, AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
>> You claim that it's not  supported.
>> But cherry picking one backport is usually what people do.
>>
>> Denying the reality won't help you make progress...
>
> well, this time we agreed to have supported backports.
>
> it is true that almost all devs are cherry-picking backports, but are real
> users going to do that? i doubt it, but we don't have any data about this
> in any case.

End users do not know about urpmi.
They knows about mgaupdate which shows them updates and about
rpmdrake which shows everything.
Thy _ONLY_ way for them to get a backport package installed is to
manually select one.
Period.

> the reality is that if you want supported backports, there's literally no
> way of testing if all combinations of cherrypicking will work or not.
> thus, there is no other way solution than to support only having backports
> or not.

That's bogus.
The truth is and always has been: if you install a backport package, it's
unsupported, it's at your own risks.
Claiming we support backports would be a like: we won't retest all existing
backported packages when pushing a new one.

> but even if you're cherry picking backports, it's still not a problem. you
> have the knowhow to cherry pick and thus also to select which ones you
> want as dependencies for updates.

You don't understand: cherry picking backports is the only way for end
users to install backports

> if everyone is cherry picking backports, there's no use to having
> supported backports, and thus we should just have unsupported backports.
> it'll make all of this alot easier.

Indeed. As we always did.

> nonetheless, this isn't only about backports, but also for testing and 3rd
> party repos or custom repositories.

We don't support those.

> in the end, the best i can come up with is to trust all enabled
> repositories. Since the user obviously trusts them.

NACK. That's totally bogus.
Enabling the backport media DOES NOT imply "I want to install every
backports".
You're twisting the reality and the existing experience in order to match
your goals. That won't work...