[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Thu Jun 21 19:33:18 CEST 2012

Op donderdag 21 juni 2012 17:40:51 schreef Thierry Vignaud:
> On 21 June 2012 17:36, AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
> >> A. fetch dependencies only from enabled release/update repositories
> >> Problems:
> >>  - patch doesn't exist yet and code complexity is alot higher
> >>  - if backports are enabled, a dependency fetched from release could
> >> conflict with other installed (from backports or other). thus the update
> >> would fail.
> >>
> >> Solutions for this:
> >>  - this is not cleanly solvable, we would have to remove the backport.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > In this thread at the moment, I see mostly people having (personal
> > preference) problems with how i would solve this bug.
> >
> > while they aren't less important, what I would rather see in this thread
> > is alternative solutions, or how the problem with A can be solved if it
> > happens.
> >
> > even if both A and B are regarded as bad, I'd even prefer people to say
> > that B is the lesser evil.
> >
> > complaining on how B is not good for you, doesn't get us anywhere with
> > this bug.
> >
> > So please, give alternative solutions or state how A is perfectly viable.
>
> You're inversing the roles :-)

inversing roles is good :-)

> You cannot knowly break things just b/c of one need (which btw was
> managed back @mdv).

well, the situations are a bit different now, we do have supported backports
now, and alot of code is now improved.

In any case, i'd like to find out how the above problem was managed @ mdv?
perhaps since backports wasn't supported, it was also unsupported? and thus
not needing to be managed?

> You're trading one infrastruture enhancement for:
> - several new usability issues:
>   o more memory
>   o slower to compute updates

actually, it would be nice to have some data on this, according to MrsB, some
people have marked release as update media, thus alleviating their problem,
they didn't think it was a problem.

also, when i read the code, all signs (even comments) pointed to this exact
solution (all was marked for searchmedia), and only limited on this one point.

> - breaking people installation by blindly installing all backports along
> updates if they're ever enabled.

well, as i said before, if we strictly require, it won't break. and it's not
blindly at all, only dependencies for updates marked repos.