[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:40:51 CEST 2012

On 21 June 2012 17:36, AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
>> A. fetch dependencies only from enabled release/update repositories
>> Problems:
>>  - patch doesn't exist yet and code complexity is alot higher
>>  - if backports are enabled, a dependency fetched from release could
>> conflict with other installed (from backports or other). thus the update
>> would fail.
>>
>> Solutions for this:
>>  - this is not cleanly solvable, we would have to remove the backport.
> [...]
>
> In this thread at the moment, I see mostly people having (personal
> preference) problems with how i would solve this bug.
>
> while they aren't less important, what I would rather see in this thread
> is alternative solutions, or how the problem with A can be solved if it
> happens.
>
> even if both A and B are regarded as bad, I'd even prefer people to say
> that B is the lesser evil.
>
> complaining on how B is not good for you, doesn't get us anywhere with
> this bug.
>
> So please, give alternative solutions or state how A is perfectly viable.

You're inversing the roles :-)
You cannot knowly break things just b/c of one need (which btw was
managed back @mdv).
You're trading one infrastruture enhancement for:
- several new usability issues:
  o more memory
  o slower to compute updates
- breaking people installation by blindly installing all backports along updates
  if they're ever enabled.
- ...