[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Claire Robinson eeeemail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 12:10:12 CEST 2012

On 21/06/12 22:01, AL13N wrote:
> Op donderdag 21 juni 2012 22:21:52 schreef Sander Lepik:
>> On Jun 21, 2012 9:10 PM, "AL13N"<alien at rmail.be>
>>
>>> so, there's 2 options:
>>>
>>> - testing i586 with backports enabled
>>> - testing x86_64 without backports enabled
>>>
>>> this is still 2 tests, and this is sufficient.
>>
>> Are you serious?
>> I've seen bugs were i586 and x86_64 doesn't work quite the same. Every arch
>> + repo must be tested separately (be it tainted or release, i'm still not
>> mixing backports with updates ... until you promise to do all the testing
>> here and not bother QA;)).
>
> I see...
>
> however, as long as backports is installed, it could still be that due to an
> update a new dependency from release is pulled, which could conflict (or not
> work correctly) with some of the installed backports.
>
> if we want to have supported both backports and updates, these cases should
> still be tested. And if you want to support cherrypicking backports, the
> possibilities are even bigger.
>
> It seems to me that people don't really see what kind of QA resources
> backports will need if all this need to be supported. This is completely
> irrelevant to this solution however. whatever solution we pick for bug 2317
> (A, B, or even doing nothing), it seems you think this solution has any effect
> on QA resources, but it doesn't, it's only enabling backports that does it.
>
> Let me give you an overview on options for the amount of support in backports
> and it's impact on QA (also with example) for only 1 release:
>
> (package X has update A&  backport B;
> package Y has update C and backport D;
> package Z has update E and backport F)
>

> A. backports is fully supported + cherry-picking backports is also supported
> (for only mga2)
>
> for update validation of package X (let's call it update A2):
> 1. testing combination: A,C,E for arch i586
> 2. testing combination: A,D,E for arch i586
> 3. testing combination: A,C,F for arch i586
> 4. testing combination: A,D,F for arch i586
> 5. testing combination: A,C,E for arch x86_64
> 6. testing combination: A,D,E for arch x86_64
> 7. testing combination: A,C,F for arch x86_64
> 8. testing combination: A,D,F for arch x86_64
>
> for backport validation of package X (let's call it backport B2):
> 1. testing combination: B,C,E for arch i586
> 2. testing combination: B,D,E for arch i586
> 3. testing combination: B,C,F for arch i586
> 4. testing combination: B,D,F for arch i586
> 5. testing combination: B,C,E for arch x86_64
> 6. testing combination: B,D,E for arch x86_64
> 7. testing combination: B,C,F for arch x86_64
> 8. testing combination: B,D,F for arch x86_64
>
> Validations required: 2*2^(number of backported packages - 1)
> ==>  this is completely impossible
>
> B. backports is fully supported, but cherry-picking isn't
>
> for update validation of package X (let's call it update A2):
> 1. testing combination: A,C,E for arch i586
> 2. testing combination: A,D,F for arch i586
> [...]

All this assumes that backport media will be treated as a normal update
media. That is certainly not my impression. My impression of backports
are being able to install a new blender for example, not having a system
where backports are just another update media and replace everything
available. The QA task for that scenario would be ridiculously huge. If
you want to have backports which go any further than backports testing
then you seriously need to rethink this idea.

I don't think you understand quite how short handed we are in QA. For
the life of Mageia 1 it was mainly just two people. This bug is a major
bug for QA and has been since it was first discovered almost a year ago.
It adds complexity and extra workload to an already severely overloaded
team.

We have a few (very few) new people since Mageia 2 was released who are
beginning to help out, understand the process and how to find ways to
test things. Thankyou all, you know who you are. The complexity of
working around this bug is something they shouldn't have to learn. The
extra workload involved in working around this bug is something we can't
continue with, even in our current state with no backport medias. I
spent most of yesterday on it for example instead of testing updates.
Validating updates is now taking twice as long because there is twice as
much testing involved for two releases - plus the extra time spent
working around bug 2317 for each release. Yesterday we even found its
effects are different for some rpm's on i586 than they are on x86_64
(see p11-kit bug 6502).

Anything which, at this stage, slows this process further will lead to
updates being further and further delayed. That is a situation nobody
wants to see, and personally I'd like to be able to take a day off now
and again too. I'm sure others feel the same.

The aim of fixing this bug is to reduce the complexity and extra
workload of working around it for QA. This assumption and solution
actually has the opposite effect, dramatically increasing the complexity
and workload. As I've explained, that is simply not possible if we want
to release timely updates.

I hope this makes the situation clearer. There is a workable solution
but I'm afraid it isn't this one, for the reasons given above.

Thanks
Claire