[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Fri Jun 22 12:42:46 CEST 2012

> On 21/06/12 22:01, AL13N wrote:
[...]
> All this assumes that backport media will be treated as a normal update
> media. That is certainly not my impression. My impression of backports
> are being able to install a new blender for example, not having a system
> where backports are just another update media and replace everything
> available. The QA task for that scenario would be ridiculously huge. If
> you want to have backports which go any further than backports testing
> then you seriously need to rethink this idea.
[...]
> The aim of fixing this bug is to reduce the complexity and extra
> workload of working around it for QA. This assumption and solution
> actually has the opposite effect, dramatically increasing the complexity
> and workload. As I've explained, that is simply not possible if we want
> to release timely updates.
>
> I hope this makes the situation clearer. There is a workable solution
> but I'm afraid it isn't this one, for the reasons given above.

No offense, but i think it didn't make myself clear and as a result i
think you are not understanding this properly.

my proposal is actually to make sure QA only needs to test twice for each
package (both updates and backports).

"My impression of backports are being able to install a new blender for
example"

this exact idea that you have, will make QA testing unworkable. let me try
to explain:

suppose that only blender and firefox and gimp and java is backported. any
kind of combination would have to be tested to be able to support
backports:
- testing backports blender on a system without backports
- testing backports blender on a system with backports and only firefox
installed from backports
- testing backports blender on a system with backports and only gimp
installed from backports
- testing backports blender on a system with backports and only java
installed from backports
- testing backports blender on a system with backports and both firefox
and gimp installed from backports
- testing backports blender on a system with backports and both firefox
and java installed from backports
- testing backports blender on a system with backports and both gimp and
java installed from backports
- testing backports blender on a system with backports and firefox and
gimp and java installed from backports

This for each arch: thus 16 tests.

This amount of tests is a direct result of trying to support backports
when you can have any single backported package installed, that you want.

you'd have to test this because in case of new dependencies, it could even
conflict during installation!!!

and the biggest problem is that the same problem exists when having an
update that has a new dependency. Thus, the same tests should be done for
updates as well.

all of this, just to support backports being cherry-picked.

I'd rather have unsupported backports.

My proposal (B2) is a compromise that has only supporting backports if you
use it for everything, and has only 2 tests per package. THE SAME AS WE DO
NOW!

to repeat: i'm trying to propose a solution that makes QA have NO INCREASE
of workload.

the only extra point, is that for validating:

right now, you're asking if it's tested for both i586 and x86_64.

for B2, this is still the same, except that i586 should have backports
disabled and x86_64 have backports enabled.

I hope this is clearer now