[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Fri Jun 22 12:37:24 CEST 2012

AL13N skrev 21.6.2012 21:09:
> Op donderdag 21 juni 2012 19:01:51 schreef Claire Robinson:
>>> since QA is waiting for a fix for this for a long time (pre-mga1), we
>>> should get this fixed asap.
>>>
>>> PS: since we're enabling backports, we should make sure that the update
>>> validation process would have one of both required tests for validation
>>> with backports enabled and the other disabled.
> [...]
>> It is doubled now because we have two releases and most updates include
>> both. It will be effectively quadrupled with this plan and that would be
>> unsustainable. We just don't have the manpower or enough hours in a day,
>> we are struggling to cope as it is.
> [...]
>
> actually, it doesn't need to be.
>
> you already test twice before validating updates, right?
>
> so, there's 2 options:
>
> - testing i586 with backports enabled
> - testing x86_64 without backports enabled
>
> this is still 2 tests, and this is sufficient.

NO.

First of all, _anything_ heading for updates that is not noarch needs
to be validated on both arches.

Secondly, when QA validate stuff for /updates, they dont need
to test _anything_ against backports as /updates is _only_ used to
fix stuff in /release & /updates.

If something in backports breaks as a result of something going to
/updates, that's a separate bug against backported package and will
be handled after.

Remember that /updates is priority 1, and /backports is handled
as QA time permits at lower priority.

--
Thomas