[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Sander Lepik sander.lepik at eesti.ee
Fri Jun 22 13:46:17 CEST 2012

22.06.2012 13:53, AL13N kirjutas
> I do agree with you here, except that i'm trying to prevent this from
> happening, because it's not something that can be easily fixed.
>
> 1. package A is backported into X
> 1b. package A-foo is backported into X-foo (subpackage)
> 2. package B is updated into Y at a later date
> 3. package update Y has a new dependency A-foo
> 4. person has X installed; but didn't install X-foo.
> 5. person updates B into Y
>
> result is that Y pulls in as new dependency A-foo
>
> but X conflicts with A-foo
>
> so the update does not happen, and you get an ugly error.
Yes, that's what happens when you use backports. But this case can be solved. Person having
this problem will install X-foo from backports and case is probably closed (yes! this is
what you have to do if you are using backports). If not then s/he is still on his/her own as
we are dealing with backports. It's not something you can make bulletproof (and we really
shouldn't waste too much time on it).

--
Sander