[Mageia-dev] ANN: For the brave. systemd v185 in cauldron updates_testing

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 25 12:26:15 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 25/06/12 11:04 did gyre and gimble:

>>> One does, one doesn't.
>>> On the one that does, btw, one must provide the root password in order
>>> to mount a USB key if "su - foobar" is run in a terminal...
>>
>> Does the one running a DM let you login OK via gdm?
>>
>> So USB keys mount OK after a fresh boot, but as soon as you do "su -
>> foobar" mounting is broken? Or have I misunderstood the problem?
>
> The computer is logged by my gf, but I "su - my_account" in a terminal
> with screen then running some root sessions too in order to work on my
> stuff.
>
> In that case, plugging a USB partitionned disk now results in having to type in
> the root password due to other users being logged.
>
> Of course, it's not a generic issue... It'll probably annoy only me.

Ahh right, I think I understand the setup. It likely comes down to
whether or not both sessions are active or not or is perhaps related to
the fact that both sessions are active at the same time and are on the
same seat.

Either way this is likely something that can be fixed eventually with
appropriate udisk/policykit or whatever updates/integration (I'd suggest
that your session in the background should be "inactive" (see loginctl
session-status N)

What is interesting is that if I try to emulate here, I don't get any
other sessions listed in loginctl.... This is at least partly deliberate
as I didn't want to change the pam.d/su or pam.d/su-l (or the sudo ones)
files for Mga2 to include pam_systemd.so due to there being a few quirks
relating to session management. That said, the pam.d/su file should
include system-auth so I guess I would expect to see a session listed
but IIRC the code will actually skip starting a new session if one
already exists, so not 100% surprising.

Really should update how the pam stuff fits together at some point.