[Mageia-dev] lighttpd and others now require apache

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:57:46 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 15:02, Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 08/03/2012 14:38, Pascal Terjan a écrit :
>> And for /var/www/html
>> This should really be a server-neutral thing (with a better name for
>> the user, like www-data) but I never took the time to do it :(
>
> What is needed exactly by various web servers ? I really doubt anything else
> as apache requires apache configuration file. And if it is just a
> /var/www/html directory, there is no use to have a dependency for something
> any sysadmin is able to create himself.

It helps when it works out of the box. A user may not be aware, at
first, that a /var/www/html has to be created + an index.html file put
in it, to see its Web server work. It's a good default behaviour
confirming the install succeeded and that the server works, it saves a
few seconds to everyone trying/doing it first.

Now, maybe each web server package should check if this /var/www/html
directory exists and create it if needed (or have /var/www/apache,
/var/www/lighttpd, etc.)? Or should that be better handled by a
separate unique package?