[Mageia-dev] lvm2 initscript is marked as a config file...?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Mar 10 11:10:16 CET 2012

Le mardi 06 mars 2012 à 22:12 +0200, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> 06.03.2012 21:48, Colin Guthrie kirjoitti:
> > Hiya
> >
> > I noticed while doing the updates round that the file
> > /etc/init.d/lvm2-monitor had a .rpmnew... Thus is seems to be marked as
> > a config file. Is this correct? Most initscripts are not meant to be
> > configured... is this the exception that proves the rule?
>
> Doesn't look like configurable.
>
> I have many times seen random non-config files marked as
> %config(noreplace) in very old .specs just because they are in /etc.
> This instance also predates mdv SVN migration (unfortunately their CVS
> has been brought down).
>
> (maybe rpmlint wrongly warned about them many many years ago, causing
> people to add unwanted %config flags...)

That's it.

And that's something that always bothered me on a fundamental level, if
that's not config, it should not be in /etc/, as this gave likely wrong
expectation to people ( ie, that they could safely hack around
initscripts and have no problem on upgrade ). The systemd approach with
inheritance is much cleaner on this regard.