[Mageia-dev] Version freeze: reminder

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Mar 11 14:02:12 CET 2012

Le dimanche 11 mars 2012 à 01:59 +0100, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
> On 8 March 2012 11:31, Anne nicolas <ennael at mageia.org> wrote:
> > Version freeze is now active. As a reminder please have a look here
> > https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-March/012533.html
> >
> > for more details.
>
> For years, the freeze never impacted our own tools since  unless
> packages we are not upstream, we prefer to release than patch
> (which also helps get latest translations).
> Now, drakx* stuff got blocked.

For years, the whole stack have been developped in the last minute.

> So I would request we relax the freeze for our own stuff.
> else It'll made pushing fixes quite slow & painfull.
>
> In worst case, instead of pushing the stack in ~30mns, it may
> takes days.
> eg if I fix sg in urpmi, I've to wait for someone to actually push urpmi
> before asking to push drakx-installer-stage2 with new urpmi.

Yes. Or you can backport the fix as patch. Or say "that's just a bugfix"
release.

> eg if I fix sg in rpm, I've to wait for someone to actually push rpm
> before asking to push perl-URPM to drakx-installer-stage2.

Perl-URPM would not require a version upgrade, so would not need anyone
to push, as well as drakxinstall-stage2.

Since a fix to rpm would be a patch, that's also no a version upgrade.

So for version freeze, there is no need of anything special.

And for release freeze, I would hope that we do not need fix that
requires to rebuild 4 differents rpms. At least not more than once...

> It can become way more painful for eg:
> dietlibc fix>kmod|ldetect>drakx-installer-binaries>drakx-installer-images
> eg: if would fix sg in dietlibc for kmod.
> Thus I would have 4 requests with delays between each.
>
> Or enable me to push new perl-URPM/urpmi/drakx* like I was able to
> do in the old days

No, for the aformentioned reasons.