[Mageia-dev] KDE requires creep and other minimal installation issues

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 19:33:36 CEST 2012

Luc Menut <lmenut at ...> writes:
> Le 28/03/2012 18:40, David Walser a écrit :
> [...]
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure, but I think at least some of the reason all kinds of extra
> > stuff gets pulled in is because Default-kde4-config and
> > mageia-kde4-config-common both have added dependencies on plasma applets
> > (plasma-applet-icontasks and plasma-applet-battery, respectively),
>
> kdm requires some config files provided by kde4-config-file, that's mean
> either Default-kde4-config, vanilla-kde4-config or netbook-kde4-config.
>   urpmq --requires kdm
>     kdebase4-runtime
>     kde4-config-file[>= 2]
>     [...]
>   urpmq --whatprovides kde4-config-file
>     vanilla-kde4-config|Default-kde4-config|netbook-kde4-config
>
> so, you can use vanilla-kde4-config instead of Default-kde4-config, and
> you will remove the requires on plasma-applet-icontasks and all its
> dependencies.
>
> As previously said by John and Thierry, logs could help a lot to narrow
> an eventually wrong requires.
>
> btw, on a server, perhaps you could replace kdm by a lighter login manager.
>
> regards,
> Luc

Thanks Luc.  Installing vanilla-kde4-config allows kdebase4-workspace to be
removed.  So basically ark/konsole/kdm require libkdecore5, which requires
kde4-config-file, and the packages that satisfy that dependency require a ton
of stuff, especially Default-kde4-config, which requires a lot more than it
did in Mageia 1.  It shouldn't be terribly difficult to suss this out, just
by testing uninstalling the KDE packages and then installing one of the config
packages and seeing what it pulls in.

If you still think you need anything from me, let me know, but I don't see that
you will.  Just a note to tv, I did the upgrade with the installer and not
urpmi, so I don't have urpmi logs but I do have drakx logs.