[Mageia-dev] kernel-3.3.3 and wifi problems

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue May 1 11:29:29 CEST 2012

01.05.2012 10:25, simple w8 skrev:

> I have talked with some developers that use to maintain the
> compat-wireless stuff (that will be merged in kernel-3.5) and they
> havent this kind of problem.

So they either:
1. dont have exactly same hw.
2. dont test stable tree
3. have the fix in upstream tree

> Cant this be some caused by some patch added into the mageia kernel >
> 3.3.1 releases?
> Since kernel > 3.3.1 is that i start detecting few wifi networks and
> if i run kernel-3.3.1 i detect again about 10 wifi networks like it
> used to happen.

Well, that is why I told you to report upstream.

Did you report that 3.3.1 worked and 3.3.3 stopped working?

Anyway, checking commit logs between upstream 3.3.1 and 3.3.3
shows one commit that specifically touches the module you use...

So can you try kernel-3.3.4-1.1.mga2 from:
http://tmb.mine.nu/Mageia/Cauldron/bugs/3.3.4-rtlwifi-revert/
http://tmb2.mine.nu/Mageia/Cauldron/bugs/3.3.4-rtlwifi-revert/

If that works, you can ping upstream that:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=commit;h=eb641120479de7ee703fabb5e6ee0ec7947474ba

broke your wireless.

--
Thomas