[Mageia-dev] Freeze Push: e2fsprogs

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 3 16:21:40 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anssi Hannula at 03/05/12 14:54 did gyre and gimble:
> 03.05.2012 13:50, Colin Guthrie kirjoitti:
>> 'Twas brillig, and zezinho at 03/05/12 11:33 did gyre and gimble:
>>>>
>>> Sorry, but I feel this is not needed for MGA2. In fact, systemd has
>>> changed the shutdown behaviour. The good patch would be to make him sync
>>> the hwclock at shutdown, as we have no bugs because of this sysvinit
>>> behaviour.
>>
>> There are real problems related to this as described upstream. Without a
>> proper ntp implementation doing the time sync we have *no* idea that
>> what we are doing is correct. If this is a dual boot system we could be
>> clobbering the RTC without any knowledge that what we are doing is
>> vaguely valid. So no, I will not entertain adding the sync hwclock stuff
>> back. That is broken.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Why wouldn't we have any idea if what we are
> doing is correct? If the system time has been changed, surely RTC should
> be changed as well?

If you manually set the time manually then doing the sync to RTC makes
sense. However, what does not make sense is doing it at shutdown/startup
unconditionally.

This is why the kernel will automatically does the sync for you every 12
minutes when an ntp daemon is running. This is the recommended method.

So unless we have a proper frame of reference, (user set time, ntp
protocol time) then there should be no manual sync.

Aside from this, the fact that e2fsck uses the current time as one of
it's checks is just daft in the first place. If I have to replace the
battery in my motherboard I don't want to have to get a bogus fsck
warning. The change should stand in it's own right as being a sensible one.