[Mageia-dev] Are you sure? (no confirmation before proceeding to selected packages installation)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri May 4 19:26:58 CEST 2012

On 2012/05/04 17:19 (GMT+0200) Wolfgang Bornath composed:

> What exactly do you miss there (you have seen the "expert" button?) ?

As in partitioning step? I don't recall having any such option presented. I
always partition in advance, and in Mandrake->Mandriva->Mageia initialize
installation with readonly=1 on cmdline.

WRT "Advanced" on the select partitions to format page, it presents only the
choice to check for bad blocks, not set blocksize, inode size, volume label
or anything else I set to meet my needs by preparing partition(s) in advance
of initializing an OS installation.

> IMHO there is nothing missing or at presented at the wrong state of
> the installation procedure.

The start of a new release process as the old comes to a close is a good time
to take a step back and try to see the process without color of familiarity.
Of the conventional GUI installers I use with any frequency, Fedora's I like
least, openSUSE's I like far and away the best, and Mandriva->Mageia's I put
only moderately above Fedora's. I find package selection in all at best
trying, at worst downright painful, and prefer cmdline upgrade via
yum/urpmi/zypper to all of them, but often it's necessary to clean install,
not least during development to identify installer issues such as the one
Thierry Vignaud provided a patch to fix in bug 5725.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/